This is a collection of policies (declarations) and revaluations issued by the Mutual Assurance Society between 1796 and 1867 for buildings in Richmond and Henrico County, Virginia. Policies include the name of the insured, place of residence, location of the insured property (with references to contiguous property), the name of the occupant of the property, a description and estimated value of each structure insured, and the date and signature of the insured. An appraiser's statement regarding the value of the property is also included. Revaluations contain the same information as declarations and give the prior declaration number.
At the bottom of each policy appears a sketch of the insured property. In most instances the sketches are rough outlines of the buildings as if viewed from above, with roofing material and distance from streets and from other structures noted. Revaluations of insured property were required every seven years (or whenever additions were made to a policy), so succeeding declarations often show additions to the original building, new outbuildings, and new uses for old buildings.